The Dyke Hide
This hide was built primarily for the Green woodpeckers that visit the anthills lining the dyke. Its built spanning the dyke making all portals for photography at ground level. During the winter* we feed the larger raptors and put the feeders out for the small birds which in turn attracts the Sparrowhawk. We also feed apples and during very cold spells photographers have achieved images of the winter thrushes.
Please note - During the winter this hide is run strictly DAWN - DUSK. To get the most from this hide during the winter at least 2 lenses are required.
Camera supportShelf -
Shelf on 1 aspect with gimbal head supplied (Tripods required for other aspects)
Composting toilet -
12v lighting -
Hot water -
Optimum lens -
300mm is a good all round lens for this hide, Zooms and convertors give extra reach should you feel you need it
Angle of view -
All ground level (1 portal per aspect pp)
Max participants -
Main species during the night -
Main species during the day -
Green Woodpecker (year round) Buzzard, Red Kite & Sparrowhawk (October - April)
Hedgerow/Woodland edge/Grassed field
North, East & West
Distance from Parking -
This hide is never sold species specific. Generally photographers spending the most part of the day in this hide will achieve images of multiple species but as everything that visits is completely wild we can never fully guarantee what will show on any given day.
Inside the Hide
(Click to enlarge images)
Images taken from the Hide
(Click to enlarge images)
- If you need to leave the hide for any reason please phone ahead and someone will come and escort you. This is done to protect the hide from irreparable damage that can happen should the wildlife see you leave
- Some of our hides are on a privately owned lake complex. Please do not leave the hide during your session and wander around as it is part of the agreement from the land owners that all guest will be escorted on and off the site
- Our other hides are on pasture and livestock graze the fields. We cannot stress enough how important it is to shut gates behind you and check that they have latched shut
- Please don’t leave the hide during the session and change the setup - phone ahead and we will come and help should there be a problem
- Please leave the hide as you found it and take all litter home with you.
Wildlife photography hides are not liable for any personal accident and or injury.
Wildlife photography hides are not liable for any loss and or damage to personal items/equipment.
Booking onto hide days, tours or a workshop means that you accept the terms and conditions stated.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure a visit by the birds, they are completely wild and so we can never guarantee this.